• Begins his sixth season in the Rays organization and fourth full season as bullpen coach...joined the Rays as assistant to the pitching coach on Dec. 17, 2009...midway through the 2011 season began filling in for bullpen coach Bobby Ramos, who was ill...officially replaced Ramos as bullpen coach on Nov. 30, 2011...is the seventh bullpen coach in club history.
• Prior to joining the Rays, he spent 18 years with the Houston Astros organization, where he served as either a coach or scout, including the last three seasons as pitching coach for the Double-A Corpus Christi Hooks in the Texas League...he and Rays pitching coach Jim Hickey were together for 15 years in the Astros system (1992-2006).
• Was the pitching coach for the Class-A Salem Avalanche, the Astros' affiliate in the Carolina League, from 2003-06...served in the same capacity for Class-A Michigan in the Midwest League for two seasons and had previously been a coach with the Astros Gulf Coast League and Appalachian League affiliates...served as a scout from 1991-93, and combined coaching and scouting duties at various other times during his career with the Astros.
• Selected by the Brewers in the 20th round of the 1981 June Draft as a catcher out of Buckeye South High School in Rayland, Ohio.
• After two years in the Brewers system, switched to pitcher and was signed by the Royals, where he remained for four years.
• Underwent two rotator cuff surgeries.
PERSONAL & MISC.
• Has a degree in biology from Ohio University.
• Was all-Ohio in baseball, football and basketball at Buckeye South...in July 2014 was inducted into the Ohio Valley Athletic Conference Hall of Fame.
• Resides in St. Cloud, Fla., with his wife, Carol, and their two children, Sarah and Clayton.