12/05/2012 12:55 PM ET
Maddon's 10-day goodwill tour begins next week
Annual Thanksmas, HIP events highlight Rays manager's schedule
Rays manager Joe Maddon will host Thanksmas for the seventh consecutive year at Salvation Army Shelters in St. Petersburg, Tampa and Clearwater and then return to his Pennsylvania home for his Hazleton Integration Project's second annual Christmas Celebration.
Maddon's goodwill tour begins Friday, December 7 when he will host his third annual Thanksmas fundraiser at 717 South in Tampa (717 S. Howard St.) from 5 p.m. until closing. The restaurant will prepare Joe's Thanksmas meal, and Rays players and coaches will serve as guest servers.
As he does for every Thanksmas, Maddon will prepare a traditional Italian/Polish holiday feast for hundreds of needy citizens in the Tampa Bay region. He will purchase the food, and with the help of Rays coaches and staff, cook and serve the meals, December 8-12.
Following Thanksmas, Maddon will return to his hometown of Hazleton, Pa., for a series of events to promote his Hazleton Integration Project (HIP). The project's mission is to provide a suitable location within the city conducive to creating opportunities for economically disadvantaged children to participate in a variety of no-cost or low-cost educational, cultural and athletic activities. On December 13, Maddon will be joined by former All-Star first baseman Tino Martinez for a press conference at the new Hazleton One Community Center.
On December 14, Maddon will be joined by Martinez, Carlos Pena, Fernando Rodney, Joel Peralta, FOX's Ken Rosenthal and Hall of Fame sportswriter Peter Gammons for an auction/celebrity dinner at Genetti's Best Western in Hazleton. The following evening the Rays manager will host Joe Maddon's Family Christmas featuring a variety of Hazleton's most talented young people at the Alice C. Wiltsie Performing Arts Center. Finally, on December 16, Maddon and his volunteers will serve a final Thanksmas meal to economically disadvantaged citizens at Hazleton's Catholic Social Services Family Center.
Over the past six years, Maddon's Thanksmas has served approximately 5,000 individuals in need and provided many of those individuals with clothing and shoes. In 2011, as a result of numerous donations from generous Rays fans and Joe's fundraising efforts, Thanksmas was also able to present $4,000 each to Salvation Army centers in St. Petersburg, Tampa and Bradenton and the Sallie House in St. Petersburg. This year, Maddon and his volunteers will hand out special Thanksmas blankets at each location. For more information, visit joesthanksmas.com.
Last month, HIP purchased the former Most Precious Blood School that will become The Hazleton One Community Center. The center will be the host site for athletics, academics, adult education, the arts, cooking and other kinds of activities. The grand opening is planned for May.
Maddon's Upcoming Schedule:
- Friday, December 7 - 5:00 p.m. - Fundraiser at 717 South Restaurant, Tampa
- Saturday, December 8 - Noon - Location TBD
- Sunday, December 9 - Noon - Food preparation with Joe Maddon at Tropicana Field
- Monday, December 10 - 5:30 p.m. - Thanksmas, Sallie House, St. Petersburg
- Tuesday, December 11 - Noon - Thanksmas, Clearwater Salvation Army 1625 N. Belcher Road
- Tuesday, December 11 - 4:30 p.m. - Thanksmas, Tampa Salvation Army, 1603 N. Florida Ave.
- Wednesday, December 12 - Noon - Thanksmas, St. Petersburg Salvation Army, 1400 4th St. S.
- Thursday, December 13 - 4:00 p.m. - Press Conference, Hazleton One Community Center
- Friday, December 14 - 6:00 p.m. - Celebrity Dinner/Auction, Genetti's Best Western
- Saturday, December 15 - 7:00 p.m. - Joe Maddon's Family Christmas, Alice C. Wiltsie Performing Arts Center
- Sunday, December 16 - TBA - Thanksmas, Catholic Social Services Family Center
This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.