Nationals Press Release
Washington Nationals Opening Week Homestand Highlights
Plenty in store for fans of all ages as the Nationals celebrate Opening Week
FRIDAY, APRIL 4
- Opening Day at Nationals Park: The Nationals will commemorate Opening Day at Nationals Park when the team hosts the Atlanta Braves at 1:05 p.m. on Friday, April 4. The day's pregame events will pay tribute to those affected by last September's tragedy at the Washington Navy Yard, located just a few short blocks from Nationals Park. In addition, representatives from the United States Navy, first responders and families of the victims will take part in the pregame ceremony.
Emceed by Emmy-Award-winning sports broadcaster and CBS News Special Correspondent James Brown, the Opening Day pregame ceremonies will include:
- Flags raised by Vice Admiral William Hilarides, Commander Naval Sea Systems Command
- Ceremonial First Pitch thrown by Captain Chip Zawislak accompanied by Jennifer Bennett, Michael Jackson and Makonnen Eyob, survivors of the Navy Yard tragedy
- Color Guard and giant American flag presentation by the United States Navy Ceremonial Guard
- National Anthem and America the Beautiful performed by the United States Navy Band Sea Chanters, the official chorus of the United States Navy
- Lineup Card delivery by Cathy Lanier, Chief of the Metropolitan Police Department
- Game Ball delivery by Rear Admiral Markham Rich, Commandant of the Naval District Washington
- Starting Eight featuring first responders representing the agencies that reacted to the Navy Yard tragedy
- Play Ball announcement made by Danielle Knight, who lost her mother, Mary Knight in the shooting
Opening Day Cap presented by GEICO will be distributed to the first 30,000 fans to enter the ballpark through ALL GATES. Fans are encouraged to arrive earlier than normal in order to enjoy Opening Day festivities. All gates will open at 10:30 a.m.
Advance tickets to attend Opening Day are sold out, but fans can still purchase Standing Room Only tickets for $20 at nationals.com/tickets, or by calling 888.632.NATS(6287), while supplies last. Approximately 400 Grandstand seats will also be available for $15 at the Main Box Office starting at 10:30 a.m. on the day of the game. Grandstand seats are limited to one ticket per customer.
SATURDAY, APRIL 5
- The first 20,000 fans to enter the ballpark through ALL GATES will receive a T-shirt presented by MASN.
SUNDAY, april 6
- Kids Opening Day Presented by Jr. Nationals Kids Club: The Nationals invite the team's youngest fans to help kick off the 2014 season by celebrating Kids Opening Day. A variety of kid-friendly activities will be available before the start of the game, including caricature artists, face painters and a sign-making station.
- Screech's Birthday: Celebrate Screech's birthday with mascots from across the D.C. area. Screech and his friends will participate in a birthday ceremony, an air character dance, a piñata breaking and compete alongside the Racing Presidents.
TUESDAY, april 8
- Social Fan Event #1: Join fellow Facebook fans for the first social media event of 2014. Enjoy a special ticket offer with added value to spend throughout Nationals Park, the opportunity to claim a limited edition T-shirt, and exclusive gameday experiences only for our most loyal Facebook fans. For more information, 'Like' the Nationals on Facebook at Facebook.com/Nationals and visit nationals.com/socialfans.
WEDNESDAY, april 9
- Blossoms and Baseball: Representatives from the National Cherry Blossom Festival will participate in the pregame ceremonies, which include throwing out the ceremonial first pitch. In addition, the large silver baseball art installation suspended outside of the parking garages by Center Field Gate will be illuminated with pink lights in honor of the Festival. The Nationals are offering a season-long discount that includes a $5 donation to the National Cherry Blossom Festival for any ticket purchased at nationals.com/blossomsandbaseball.
- $1 Dogs Presented by Hatfield: Nationals fans will have the opportunity to purchase hot dogs for just $1 at participating NatsDogs stands until the start of the sixth inning. While supplies last, some restrictions apply.
Thursday, april 10
- DECA Day: All local members of the Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA) are invited to the 2nd Annual DECA DAY at Nationals Park. Guests will enjoy a pregame educational event and scavenger hunt before the Nationals face the Miami Marlins. For more information visit nationals.com/groups, or call 202.675.NATS(6287).
- Miller Lite Party Night: Nationals fans 21 and older can once again enjoy the popular Miller Lite Party Nights at the Miller Lite Scoreboard Walk before Thursday, Friday and Saturday home games, including a performance by Scott's New Band on Opening Day. Party nights feature live music and beer specials prior to first pitch. Starting at just $22, fans can purchase a Scoreboard Pavilion seat and receive a drink at the On Deck Bar at the Miller Lite Scoreboard Walk. This offer is available online only at nationals.com/party. Some restrictions apply.
- Signature Sundays Presented by New Era: Every Sunday, two Nationals players will sign autographs from on top of the Nationals dugout starting one hour and 10 minutes prior to the start of the game. New this season, fans must obtain a free voucher to participate in autograph sessions. Available when first gates open, a limited number of vouchers will be distributed on a first come, first served basis at Sections 109 and 140. Weather permitting, subject to player schedules and timing.
- Kids Run the Bases: Following Sunday games, kids ages 4-12 are invited on the field to run where their heroes play, field conditions permitting. Jr. Nationals MVP members will have access to an exclusive line in order to be the first on the field.
- Me and a Friend: In partnership with USO of Metropolitan Washington and SAIC, this program recognizes the challenges that military children face as they continually relocate due to their parents' military assignments. The Nationals provide tickets to children of active duty service members for every Sunday game of the season, giving them the opportunity to use the free tickets to connect with peers and help make new friends.
This year, SAIC will host a pregame kid-friendly picnic party for USO children and their friends. The party will include lunch, T-shirt giveaways, poster decorating, kids' tattoos and a visit from a mascot. The group is also first in line for Kids Run the Bases after the game. Interested families should visit USOmetro.org/tickets to sign up for notifications.
PARKING AND TRANSPORTATION
Visit nationals.com/waytogo for information on parking and additional routes to Nationals Park. To receive up-to-date WMATA service notifications on a mobile device, fans are encouraged to register for Alert DC at https://textalert.ema.dc.gov/. New for 2014, MLB.com's popular At The Ballpark mobile app now includes an integrated Metro Trip Planner.
For game tickets and more information call 202.675.NATS(6287) or visit nationals.com/OpeningWeek.