SAN FRANCISCO -- Pitcher Thad Weber was only in Fresno for about an hour Saturday before he was told that he needed to get to AT&T Park pronto.
Weber, added to the 25-man roster for depth after starting pitcher Clayton Richard was felled by a nasty virus, quickly discovered that getting to San Francisco wouldn't be easy.
"We looked and couldn't find any direct flights," said Weber, who arrived in Fresno earlier in the day with his Triple-A Tucson teammates.
Instead of flying over Central California, Weber got to tour it by car, as the team hired a car service so he could travel the 190 or so miles to get to town in time for Saturday's 6:05 p.m. PT start.
Only it took a little longer.
"I left about 3:15 and got here at 7," Weber said. "We were moving well until we got to the Bay Bridge."
Weber was able to monitor the early part of the Padres' 2-0 loss to the Giants via the MLB At-Bat app on his phone before arriving. He dressed quickly and said he would have been available to pitch if needed.
The Padres needed an extra arm in the bullpen after long reliever Andrew Cashner was used to start Saturday. Weber took the roster spot of starter Tyson Ross, who went on the disabled list with an injury to his non-throwing shoulder.
This is the second time in nine days that Weber has been added to the roster. He joined the team April 12 and was optioned back to Triple-A Tucson two days later after yielding two runs over 3 2/3 innings in his only relief appearance.
At Tucson, Weber was 2-0 with a 0.82 ERA in 11 innings, including six shutout innings in his last start Thursday against Salt Lake.
"Anytime you're up, it's a good thing," Weber said of his promotion. "I always tell myself to take it day by day. Hopefully, it's longer this time."
Alonso reluctantly gets break from lineup
SAN FRANCISCO -- Let's get this straight: Yonder Alonso doesn't like getting a start off. Not in April and not in September. He wants to play. Period.
"I don't want a day off. There's no need at all to take a day off," Alonso said. "I hate days off."
Alonso wasn't in the starting lineup Sunday against the Giants, who started a left-handed pitcher -- Barry Zito -- as the right-handed-hitting Jesus Guzman got the start at first base. It's the second time in 2013 that Alonso hasn't started a game, though he entered in the sixth inning to replace Guzman, who moved to left field after Kyle Blanks was shaken up colliding with the outfield wall. Alonso has played in all 18 of the Padres' games this season.
"It's not even a day off, it's just not starting," said Padres manager Bud Black. "I thought it gave him an opportunity to exhale. He's going to play a lot and get a lot of at-bats."
Alonso said not to put much stock into his three-game funk that has seen him go 0-for-11 with seven strikeouts against some good pitchers -- Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers and, in this series, Madison Bumgarner and Tim Lincecum.
"Sometimes, those guys are tough," Alonso said.
Prior to those three games, Alonso was hitting .419 in his eight previous games with at least one hit in all eight games.
"I think you have to put it in perspective," Alonso said Sunday. "We have faced a stretch of three or four guys who have thrown the ball well. You're going to go through a tough stretch of pitchers sometimes."
In 2012, Alonso appeared in 155 games in his first full Major League season. Only Chase Headley (161) played in more games for the Padres.
"I take care of myself in the offseason because I want to play in 162 games," he said.
Positive attitude serving Blanks well
SAN FRANCISCO -- Kyle Blanks is in a good place. Not just in terms of the starting lineup, though he was hitting sixth Sunday against the Giants, his sixth consecutive start in the outfield.
Blanks is in a good place mentally, he said.
No longer is he dwelling on a particular at-bat, replaying it over and over in his head. He's done with that part of the game.
"Against [Dodgers pitcher Chad Billingsley] I struck out on a curveball and went back and said I made a good swing on it. I was able to move on from it," Blanks said.
The origins for Blanks' new outlook go back as far as the offseason when he worked with Alonzo Powell, the Padres' assistant hitting coach. He was then able to carry that over to Spring Training -- always trying to take positives from a particular swing or situation.
"It's not that I haven't been able to sleep at night because of it before, but you look at the things you did well and you build on your strengths instead of focusing on your weaknesses," Blanks said.
Blanks hit .354 with nine extra-base hits in 65 at-bats in Spring Training but started the season with the Padres' Triple-A affiliate in Tucson because the team had plenty of outfield options. He then hit .296 in 27 at-bats before he was promoted April 14 when Carlos Quentin started his eight-game suspension.
Blanks entered Sunday hitting .278 in his first 18 at-bats with the Padres. He's enjoying every bit of his time in the Major Leagues and, particularly, his new outlook.
"There's too much failure in this game to focus on it," he said. "It took me nine years to get there but it's given me a great outlook on the game and life."
Blanks left Sunday's game in the sixth inning after making a running catch of a Joaquin Arias fly ball and running headlong into the left-field wall. He received four stitches on his left eyelid but was otherwise fine.
• Black said Richard will likely start Tuesday's game against the Brewers at Petco Park. Richard was to join the team after Sunday's game for the flight back to San Diego. "I still think it's a 48-hour thing," said Black.
• Quentin, who started serving his eight-game suspension April 14 for his part in a benches-clearing incident April 11, will be eligible to play Tuesday. Quentin has been working out with Class A Lake Elsinore and at Petco Park. He'll work out with the team prior to Monday's game against the Brewers.